The garage door to your home is of significant importance to your home since not only does it keep your vehicle safe and closed up, but also protects your home security in general. However, garage doors are sensitive and it is important that you remember these safety tips to ensure that you don't compromise or risk you, your family, and your assets' safety:
1. Inspect the Garage Door Monthly: Every month, you should be inspecting the garage door and its parts. It is important that you look closely at the springs, cables, rollers, and more. All of the parts of the garage door contain a large amount of tension to keep open and close the garage door regularly. If any of these parts appear worn, then it is important that they are replaced. If you notice any wearing, be sure to have professionals replace the parts for you. Doing it yourself can be dangerous, since the heavy tension on the parts can be difficult to control.
2. Test the Reversibility of the Garage Door: Every month, be sure to test the reversibility of the garage door. To do this, you will want to place an object underneath the garage door's path. If the garage door does not stop because it does not recognize that the object is there, then be sure that you call in a professional to make repairs. After all, you don't want to compromise your family's safety, especially if you have children or pets who could get hurt if they are in the garage door's path.
3. Don't Leave the Door Halfway Open: Turning the garage door back on after leaving it halfway open can damage its sensor, leaving the reversibility damaged. On top of this, leaving the garage halfway open can leave your home susceptibility to a break-in.
4. Unplug the Opener When on Vacation: The best way to keep your home safe while away on vacation is to unplug the garage door opener. This way no one can easily get the garage door to open.
5. Don't Leave your Remote in the Car: Many home break-ins can be related to garage door openers being left in the car, especially if the car's windows have been cracked. Instead, consider using a keychain to keep your garage door opener with you and your car keys at all times.
Ensuring that you follow these safety tips, you can be sure that you keep yourself, your family, and your home as safe as possible. Contact a garage door company like Lake County Door Co if you have any questions.